For The Love of Pharmacutical Medicine

When I was a teenager, around 14 years old, I was told that I would be prone to bouts of Depression. It is something that runs in my family. My Mom had a chemical imbalance, as well as my sister, both having non-psychological mental problems. I thought I had dodged a bullet, but it seems to have finally caught up with me in a big way. We were lower-middle class at best. My Mom worked 2 jobs and we never took money from government programs. So I was never put on any medication. I have dealt with this thing all my life. It is probably the reason I write songs in the manner I do. The reason I have, had, such a hatred for the world. The reason I tended towards hating religious people instead of just accepting that we see things differently. In the last few years, my bouts have become longer and more intense. For months on end I would be mired in Depression. I would avoid talking to my Wife, because I didn’t want to be mean or angry to her for no reason than I was just awake. That action had the opposite effect, seeming as if I were avoiding her because I wanted nothing to do with her. The last year has been the worst of all. I stay angry, I stay depressed, I stay resentful at the fact I am alive. My Wife finally forced the issue and we saw a Doctor about what was going on with me. The Doctor was surprised I had never taken any sort of medication for my condition. He prescribed me Viibryd, a new Anti-Depressant. In a couple of weeks, my Wife noticed a dramatic difference. I had stopped talking of death; I had stopped being angry; stopped attacking religion, politics, etc. I had become focused on Her, Life, and stopped avoiding my reality. That… is the good news.

Last Wednesday [12-8-11] I missed taking my pill. One day. That night I went to bed. Every time I was about to drift into sleep, I would hear this loud surge of electricity and then all the ambient noise in the world would immediately silence. It would jolt me out of sleep in a panicked state. My Wife would calm me down and I would try to go to sleep again. This same thing happened 4 times. I, as well as She, was miserable. I finally feel asleep… and things got worse. I had my first Night Terror. I was part of a clan of people on the run from a military unit trying to kill us, for what reason I do not know. The first time we were caught, they hauled us into interrogation rooms and tortured us. I awoke trying to scream and my Wife trying to convince me it was all a dream. She did, and I went back to sleep.

I awoke in my dream again, with the same clan of people, though less of us now. We were trying to make our way through a dead forest with the military unit right behind us. Through razor wire and barbed wire we ran as fast as we could. I remember being bloodied and bruised and exhausted. I soon realized I could no longer hear any of my people. I turned back and all I saw was the military unit with my people in hand. One of the soldiers slit the throat of one of my clan at the same moment another soldier fired a pistol right at me. I woke up trying to scream and, again, my Wife was there to help me understand that none of it was real. She did, and I went back to sleep.

The last night terror I experienced unveiled itself most brutally of all. I awoke in my dream again, this time there was only a few of us, but it seems we had made it to safety. We were in a round room with nothing but windows that looked out into Space, though Space did not look as it typically does. The stars were as bright as I had ever seen them, but Space itself was a vibrant Blue, not Black. You could see countless auroras and systems, it was absolutely beautiful. Then, the room began to spin… faster and faster to the point that none of us could move. When it stopped, we were near the edge of the dead forest. I did not see any of the soldiers behind us, so we ran for the wood line to see what was beyond. They were waiting on us. The unit took us prisoner, but not before shooting my dog Max, my Nine-year-old Shetland Shepherd I have had since he was a puppy. They shot him in the leg, only wounding him. They bound us to chairs and sat us at a long dining table. Soldiers sat in between each of us, and their commander sat at the head of the table. Each soldier had a plate in front of him that had some sort of sauce on it. Then, a soldier approached the table with my dog Max in his arms, still alive. Placing Max on a rolling cart, near the table, the soldier cut the top of Max’s head open to expose the brain. The soldier pulled out Max’s brain and separated it into to small pieces on each of the plates at the table. The soldiers laughed as they dipped and ate the small meal. I saw Max stagger away from the table, cranium open, walking as if about to fall. My heart was breaking as I looked on, not being able to do anything. Then the commander pulled his side arm and fired a single bullet into the head of each of the members of my clan. I was last as the commander smiled, aimed, and fired. I awoke in bed, silently screaming and as it turned out, I wasn’t awake. I silently screamed until I actually screamed myself awake.

My Wife told me again “It isn’t real”, but all I could do is tell Her that they killed Max. She asked “You want to call Max back here?” I went to the bedroom door and called for Max, he did not come immediately. I began to panic and cry and called for him frantically. Max came around the corner and I dropped to my knees, sobbing into his fur. My Wife said Max looked at her with a sense of unease. She said to me “don’t hug him so hard, he doesn’t know what’s going on.” I loosened my grip and She had the idea of me sleeping up front with the animals. I slept peacefully on the chase lounge for the next 3 hours while my Wife pretty much stayed up to make sure I was going to be alright. In the morning I was full of panic and anxiety. I couldn’t clear my head and the nightmares from the night before still seemed like memories of something that actually happened. I picked up my medication and by that afternoon, finally felt normal. This all occurred because I missed one day of taking the pill. When we looked at what the effects would be from missing a day, or quitting all together, the symptoms matched what I went though. Explaining one would experience “Electric Shock Sensation” & “Nightmares”.

Since then, everyday has been better than the one before. I had a talk with my Boss, the one that hates me, to explain what has been going on with me for the last few years. He seemed receptive and hopefully I am on a good path to proving myself worthy of my job and position. My life at home has improved greatly and I enjoy, actually enjoy, being alive. My Wife is the most remarkable woman to go through all of this and stay beside me. I am looking forward to better days ahead. Thanks for reading and Happy Christmas.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s